In the news business, some of the best advice I ever got from an editor was: “Show me. Don’t tell me.”
In other words, the most compelling articles are usually packed with descriptions and real examples and people speaking for themselves. You have to go out and talk to people, connect with them, weave it all together. That’s what makes a good story. That’s what makes an impression.
It’s true of most things. And it was true when Colorado foundation leaders traveled to Washington this week for face-to-face meetings with the nine members of Colorado’s congressional delegation.
There were 14 of us in all — representing just about every type of funder making grants to nonprofits in communities all over the state (and every one of the state’s congressional districts.)
We had foundations of every size and stripe. Some of them fund broadly and others focus on a single issue. Some focus on the entire state, while others invest locally and in rural communities. We had corporate foundations, family foundations, even out-of-state foundations with family connections to Colorado.
It’s no accident that we managed to get ample time with all nine members of our congressional delegation. Just as a good story captures your attention, our diverse group did just that.
Thanks to all of our members of Congress and their staffers who made time to meet with us this week to exchange ideas and hear about the work our members are doing in communities across the state. Thanks to the Forum of Regional Associations of Grantmakers and the Council on Foundations for organizing the annual Foundations on the Hill event.
And thanks to our 2012 Colorado foundation delegation:
- Mark Anderson, Yampa Valley Community Foundation
- Louise Atkinson, Women’s Foundation of Colorado
- Sheila Bugdanowitz, Rose Community Foundation
- Linda Childears, Daniels Fund
- Ted Harms, The Anschutz Foundation
- Mary Gunn, David and Lucile Packard Foundatoin
- Heather Carroll, Edmondson Foundation
- Susan Steele, Buell Foundation
- Paul Major, Telluride Foundation
- Monique Lovato, Xcel Energy
- Joe Ignat, Nord Family Foundation
- Mary Gunn, David and Lucile Packard Foundation
- Tim Sweeney, Gill Foundation
- Abel Wurmnest, Anschutz Family Foundation