The Anschutz Family Foundation (https://anschutzfamilyfoundation.org) is a private family foundation based in Denver, Colorado. The Foundation was founded in 1982 to support rural and urban Colorado nonprofit organizations that assist people to help themselves while nurturing and preserving their self-respect.
The Program Officer is responsible for carrying out all staff activities necessary to fulfill the goals of the Anschutz Family Foundation’s grantmaking program. This position requires a breadth of knowledge rather than depth in one area of interest and works closely with the Foundation staff in a team environment. The Program Officer establishes, maintains, and stewards relationships with nonprofit organizations throughout Colorado who apply to the Foundation for grant funding.
The Program Officer reports to the Executive Director of the Foundation. As the Foundation believes that presence in the office contributes significantly to teamwork, development and comradery, this is an office-based position.
- Communicate the Foundation’s objectives, priorities and grant review process to nonprofit organizations, other funders and the public.
- Receive, review and screen proposals, letters of inquiry and other documents related to the grant process.
- Perform due diligence on proposals.
- Conduct site visits during the Foundation’s two annual grant cycles.
- Extensive (approximately 80%) overnight travel by car throughout Colorado occurring during the spring (January-April) and fall (July-October) grant cycles
- The majority of travel is in assigned regions which currently include the Northern Front Range (Weld and Larimer Counties), Northeast Colorado, and Southeast Colorado. Region assignments may change from time to time.
- Prepare summary write-ups of proposals including observations, analyses, and funding recommendations.
- Present write-up reports to the President of the Foundation during the proposal review process.
- Review and present letters of inquiry/intent to the team and follow up with nonprofits accordingly.
- Provide technical assistance consultation to grantseekers.
- Develop relationships with funding partners (grantees) that foster trust and respect.
- Represent the Foundation in the delivery of various trainings, workshops, panel discussions, and other public speaking engagements.
- Maintain knowledge of contemporary skills and trends within the field of philanthropy, the nonprofit sector, and the state of Colorado.
- Attend annual staff retreat and Colorado Rural Philanthropy Days conferences in various locations throughout the state, overnight travel required.
- Attend meetings of peer philanthropy-serving organizations such as Philanthropy Colorado, Philanthropy Southwest, Denver Funders Forum and others.
- Attend two annual weekend board meetings.
- Present ideas, reports and educational materials to the board, staff, consultants, community representatives, and the public.
- Perform other duties and special projects, as assigned.
- Excellent organizational skills. Proven attention to detail, accuracy and ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to build relationships and work cooperatively with stakeholders, including staff, board members, current and prospective grantees, and other community members.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to create documents at the highest level of writing standards and excellent editing skills.
- Critical thinking and analysis skills. Ability to analyze and synthesize quantitative and qualitative data.
- Leadership skills. History of strong relationships with board members, staff, consultants and community members.
- Knowledgeable about the nonprofit sector.
- Ability to understand and analyze nonprofit financial reports.
- Flexibility and ability to adjust to changing priorities and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Professional attire and conduct when representing the Foundation in a diverse range of settings.
- A clear commitment to the mission and values of the Foundation.
- Knowledge of best practices for nonprofit organizations.
- Minimum of a Bachelors’ degree or equivalent experience.
- Three years of experience working for a nonprofit, foundation or equivalent, preferred.
- Competency in the use of technology including Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook, databases, CRM, Saas, etc.
- Knowledge and experience in the use of Blackbaud Grantmaking, Salesforce, Fluxx, and/or Foundant is preferred.
- A valid Driver License and ability to travel by car within Colorado for site visits and meetings, including overnight travel.
- Familiarity with Colorado communities and rural issues is preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt, office-based position located in downtown Denver, Colorado. Starting annual salary range is $65,000 to $75,000, commensurate with background and experience. A generous benefits package is offered, including medical and dental insurance; retirement program; sick and vacation leave, and paid holidays.
- Position is open until filled with a priority deadline of August 11, 2021.
- Candidate materials will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and initial interviews are expected to begin in late-August with an anticipated start date in late-September or early-October.
- All applications should be emailed in a single PDF file to: email@example.com with “Program Officer Position” in the subject line. Applications should include the following:
- Cover letter detailing the applicant’s match with the position requirements and what motivated you to apply for this position
- List of three (3) professional references, with contact information, two of whom are/were an immediate supervisor with firsthand knowledge of applicant’s professional abilities (applicant will be notified before references are contacted)
- Please, no phone calls or email inquiries.
All applications will be treated confidentially. Anschutz Family Foundation seeks talented, team-oriented individuals dedicated to our mission and values. Additionally, as an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome a diversity of perspectives and experiences among our staff. For more information, please visit www.anschutzfamilyfoundation.org.