The Denver Foundation seeks a highly skilled communications strategist to independently audit the current communications strategy and lead the development of a comprehensive three-year communications plan.
Timeframe: Contract 3–6 months with potential to extend; to begin as soon as possible
Estimated Commitment: Approximately 10-20 hours per week for first six weeks, followed by regular planning and implementation calls
Description: The Denver Foundation seeks a skilled communications professional to work closely with our team to develop our communications strategy and position the organization to achieve its new strategic framework. This project is expected to span three to six months, beginning as soon as available, ideally by February 1, 2021. This project will encompass an independent audit of the Foundation’s communications activity, strategy, and structure, and the collaborative development of content and a comprehensive communications plan for 2021.
● Conduct audit of current Communications department strategies, tactics, channels and targeted audiences, as well as internal operations. This will include an audit of current Communications activities including editorial calendar, major projects and publications, marketing collateral, advertising, social media strategy, and media outreach
● Work with staff to develop and write a strategic communications plan that advances the goals of The Denver Foundation’s new Strategic Framework, launching in February 2021.
The communications plan will encompass:
- Aligning organizational goals and work of the communications department, ensuring strategies and tactics support Foundation leadership
- Understanding of audiences, segmentation strategies
- Market positioning, articulating brand promise to drive new business
- Communicating impact to existing and future donors and partners
● Help guide policy public affairs-driven projects and programming
● Assist with development of public presentations and talking points for foundation leaders, including the CEO, executive staff, and board members denverfoundation.org
● A three-year communications framework
● A communications plan for 2021
● Recommendations for internal operations as it relates to communications, including staff structure, job descriptions, and resource allocation.
● Content/messaging as appropriate
The successful candidate will have significant strategic communications experience with philanthropy and foundations, as well as a sophisticated understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusiveness, including best practices in racially equitable, asset-based storytelling. This project may be fulfilled as a temporary staff position, an independent contractor, or filled by an agency. Compensation: If filled as a temporary staff position, the starting hourly rate will range from $40-$50 per hour, depending on experience. A temporary staff position would not be eligible for benefits. Process to Express Interest: Please submit the materials outlined below. Contractors and agencies who respond to this RFI may be asked to submit a proposal. Candidates may be contacted by phone for follow-up questions.
If filled as a temporary staff position, the starting hourly rate will range from $40-$50 per hour, depending on experience. A temporary staff position would not be eligible for benefits.
Process to Express Interest: Please submit the materials outlined below. Contractors and agencies who respond to this RFI may be asked to submit a proposal. Candidates may be contacted by phone for follow-up questions. Please direct any questions to Laura Bond.
Expression of Interest Packet Materials:
1. Name and Contact Information (email, phone, and website)
2. Bio (one page or less)
4. Summary of relevant experience with an emphasis on strategic communications planning and foundation experience
5. Writing sample Interest packets will be reviewed as received and will be accepted until the contract is assigned.
Please submit your packet materials as a single PDF document to:Laura Bond.