The Director of Finance & Impact is a re-envisioned role within the Foundation. This individual develops the financial strategies, oversees the execution of financial and investment management, and builds the future financial and impact success of the Foundation. This position will oversee new resource generation activities including donor development and impact investing and will ensure the organization’s short- and long-term fiscal objectives and regulatory requirements are met.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Financial & Investment Oversight
- Develop, implement, and manage strategic tools and systems to provide critical financial information to the executive team and Board of Trustees, including a 7-year financial forecast
- Monitor state and federal legislation that may influence private foundations and philanthropic/nonprofit organizations
- Oversee the Boettcher Foundation’s endowment in keeping with the policies and investment guidelines established by the Finance & Investment Committee, and state, federal, and international tax and regulatory requirements
- Manage and serve as point of contact with the Foundation’s investment custodian, investment consultant, investment managers, and bankers
- Research and stay informed about investment trends and opportunities
- Review and analyze reports from investment consultant quarterly and notify the President & CEO and Treasurer of any areas of interest, change or issues and recommendations that should be discussed with the Board of Trustees
- Oversee management of all accounts, ledgers and reporting systems, ensuring compliance with appropriate accounting principles, tax and regulatory requirements
- Oversee management of annual audit and the development and implementation of internal control safeguards
- Oversee the preparation, implementation, and monitoring of budgets
- Oversee the treasury functions, including banking, investments, cash management, forecasting and donations to the Foundation
- Review all investment contracts and donation agreements
- Plan and set agenda for quarterly Finance & Investment Committee meetings, and annual Governance & Audit Committee audit/tax meeting
- Prepare the Finance & Investment Committee with ongoing finance and investment strategy planning that is responsive to the needs of the organization to effectively define and achieve its vision in conjunction with the President & CEO and Vice President / Chief of Staff
- Serve as fiduciary on the 401(k) Administrative Committee
Impact & Strategic Growth Oversight
- Develop and oversee impact investing strategies, including additional ways for the Foundation to leverage its corpus to further its goals to make transformational impact
- Monitor and evaluate the impact strategies of the Foundation in partnership with key staff
- Lead additional revenue generating strategies including donor development
- Support the CEO and Vice President / Chief of Staff as a strategic thinker in the areas of impact
Foundation Management Special Projects
- Engage other staff to facilitate cross-departmental collaboration that ensures financial solutions support the Foundation’s mission
- Manage, oversee, and implement special projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in business, management, finance or accounting and 8 years of related experience in financial management.
- Understanding of tax code and private foundation-related laws and regulations
- Experience working with a board of directors
- Experience in leadership, team development, and people management, and working in both a collaborative and independent environment
- Advanced computer skills using Microsoft Office
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written skills
- Flexible; must be willing and capable of adapting to changing priorities
- CPA or MBA preferred
- Knowledge of and proven track record of implementing impact investing strategies preferred
- Occasional in-state and overnight travel required
- Occasional evening and weekend work required
- Reliable transportation required to attend occasional external meetings
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required
- Join a team of people with a passion for the promise of Colorado and the potential of Coloradans
- Senior Accountant or accounting contractor
BENEFITS & COMPENSATION
- Base salary from $125,000 to $145,000
- The foundation currently offers medical, dental, vision, life insurance, long-term disability insurance benefits, 401(k) and paid parking. Time off benefits include PTO, sick leave, paid holidays, and bonding leave, along with an educational assistance plan.
HOW TO APPLY
This role will remain open until filled. The preferred application date is December 24, 2021. Candidate materials will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and initial interviews will begin at the beginning of January 2022.
To be considered please submit a resume and cover letter (in a single word doc or PDF) expressing your interest in the position to email@example.com. Early applications are strongly encouraged. Questions about this position are welcome, and should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you know someone who would be a good fit for this position, use the Refer a Friend form and our team will reach out.
White River Strategy is a Colorado-based, strategic consulting firm with a focus on leadership development and community building.
For more information, please visit www.whiteriverstrategy.com.