The Tennyson Center for Children (Tennyson) has transformed the lives of children wrestling abuse, neglect, abandonment, and trauma for over 115 years. We have helped these children heal and reintegrate back into safe families, schools and the broader Colorado society.
We are proud of our impact and history, but we are not satisfied. As such, Tennyson is pivoting to not only continue to deliver tremendous care to Colorado kids but to also to lead the way to a total reimagining of how the child welfare
sector operates so that we, collectively, can help all Colorado kids thrive and heal in ways not imagined until now.
To succeed, we need the best and most ambitious staff who are willing to stand with children in profoundly new ways so that all kids in Colorado have a real chance to succeed.
The Chief Marketing and Development Officer (“CMDO”) is an experienced marketing and development professional who will provide both strategic leadership and support for Tennyson’s mission, programs, communications, marketing and fundraising initiatives in establishing and achieving its corporate objectives.
This position is responsible for all aspects of Tennyson’s development, marketing communications and events efforts. The CMDO will lead a team of marketing and development professionals and report directly to the CEO. The CMDO is ultimately responsible for the creation and implementation of development, corporate sponsorship and marketing strategies that will build the Tennyson brand – leading to increased revenues, brand awareness and sector relevance with its target markets.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create and implement short- and long-range marketing and development plans and programs that support the organization’s values, mission and general objectives.
- Develop a balanced funding mix of donor sources and contact strategies tailored to the needs of the organization that will enable it to attract, retain and motivate donors and fundraising volunteers.
- Establish performance measures, monitor results, and evaluate the effectiveness of the organization’s marketing and development programs.
- Build and execute upon a corporate partnership strategy to drive revenues utilizing marketing, events and public relations.
- Develop integration (where applicable) with LABS/Rewiring initiatives within marketing and development to continually build upon Tennyson’s efforts to bring innovative change to the child welfare sector.
Marketing & Communications
- Lead Tennyson’s marketing strategy - including repositioning the brand within the sector and the state of Colorado.
- Oversee the planning, development, and execution of Tennyson’s marketing and branding initiatives to include successful initiatives for the entire organization, using market research, marketing communications, advertising and public relations.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of MarCom functions, and monitor activities through coordination with staff, appropriate committees and board of directors (if required).
- Implement measurable, integrated marketing strategies that will help drive revenue goals (in partnership with development) and increase awareness in the markets Tennyson serves. Drive such opportunities from concept to execution with the team.
- Assist in the relationship with Tennyson’s PR firm, ensuring messaging is consistent and coordinated across channels.
- Oversee Tennyson’s brand through development of integrated earned, owned and paid communications strategies that result in year-over-year growth in overall media impressions, social media engagements and donor activation.
- Increase Tennyson’s visibility in targeted markets, service, and expansion areas (LABS) as defined in Tennyson’s strategic plan/framework
- Design and ensure implementation of cost-effective fund development programs while maintaining quality, positive return on investment and meeting revenue goals.
- Work with board members, chief executive, other fundraising volunteers and staff to identify, cultivate and solicit charitable gifts.
- Oversee the development and writing of foundation, corporate and government grants and solicitation materials.
- Oversee creative and strategic planning, management and production of all fundraising events.
- Provide oversight of Tennyson’s volunteerism program, which includes the ability to identify, cultivate, recruit and develop fundraising volunteers and leadership.
- Ensure high-quality design and maintenance of donor and prospect records, donor management system and financial reports.
- Align department resources to meet mission and revenue objectives (as determined by the Board and Senior Leadership Team) while implementing clear steps to sustain and grow revenues year-over-year.
- Manage the priorities of the Marketing and Development department on a day-to-day basis. Ensure their activities align with Tennyson’s priorities.
- Create a culture of marketing and development excellence, setting department priorities, and service/communication level expectations within the organization, Board and Tennyson’s constituents.
- Manage, develop and refine processes and procedures related to the marketing and development infrastructure. Ensure quality review and controls are in place.
- Manage systems and processes to track, measure and report marketing and development initiatives and related results to key stakeholders.
- Provide input and guidance to the development and marketing directors/managers in the formulation and implementation of development and marketing plans.
- Foster the pursuit of expanded and new donor relationships through effective networking opportunities, branding, thought leadership, growth planning, media relations, sponsorships and other integrated marketing initiatives.
- Oversee the marketing and development budgets and expenses to meet goals.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (e.g., Marketing, Business, Non-Profit Management); proven management and strategic planning skills
- At least 10 years of senior-level experience in philanthropy, fundraising and/or marketing and supervision.
- 3 years of management experience, including staff supervision, assigning work, measuring performance
- Proven management skills and experience are required but not limited to long-term planning, evaluation, directing and motivating staff, oral and written communication skills, and marketing and financial management.
- Ability to balance competing priorities, complex situations, and tight deadlines.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
Applicants should submit the following no later than Friday, Nov. 29, 2019:
- A cover letter indicating why they are particularly interested in and qualified for the position. If desired, the cover letter may address the number of years of experience working within the child welfare sector, as well as the type of work performed, salary requirements, and any other information highlighting the desired qualities set forth above.
- A current resume
- Other supporting material (e.g., articles, speeches, presentations) that would be useful to the search committee
- The names, email addresses and telephone numbers of three references, including at least one former supervisor. (We will obtain permission from candidates before contacting references).
- The successful candidate will also be able to pass a criminal background check, FBI fingerprint check, academic credential verification, pre-employment drug test, and other regulatory background checking requirements.
These materials should be transmitted via email attachment to Laura Love at email@example.com with the subject line “Chief Marketing and Development Officer.” No phone calls please. Finalists will be invited for a more comprehensive series of visits and interviews. The board anticipates selecting a Chief Marketing and Development Officer on or before Jan. 31, 2020.