ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION: The mission of The Denver Foundation is to inspire people and mobilize resources to strengthen our community. As Colorado's oldest and largest community foundation, we've been taking care of the future since 1925. We help generous people create charitable legacies and give back to the community through Community Grants, The Denver Foundation supports community groups and nonprofit organizations in the seven-county Metro Denver area with an ongoing commitment to reducing disparities and promoting equity for the most vulnerable members of our community. The Denver Foundation is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.
Reporting to the Controller, the Accountant is responsible for providing accounting services to the entire Foundation. The position requires excellent customer service, strong computer skills, attention to detail, strong communication skills, flexibility to adapt, and the ability to manage and complete multiple tasks.
RESPONSIBILITIES & ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Participate in overseeing the accuracy and integrity of the accounting system by creating accurate general journal entries, reconciling cash accounts, and maintaining the general ledger
- Monitor bank activity to review daily transactions, upload daily transactions for positive pay, scan deposits daily, and assist with ACH transfers
- Manage payroll processing, prepare related journal entries, administer benefit accounts and reconcile payroll liabilities
- Participate in the income workflow by initiating online gifts, gifts of securities transactions, and other income types
- Prepare monthly reconciliation of bank accounts
- Manage credit card workflow
- Maintain well-documented procedures, identify opportunities for procedure efficiencies, and train necessary staff members on transaction processing
- Oversee the annual preparation and issuance of 1099 forms to all appropriate vendors
- Participate on the contracts team and draft contracts
- Assist with the preparation for the annual audit and tax return for the Foundation and supporting organizations
- Prepare annual Form 5500 and validate with plan administer
- Reconcile IRS Form 940 and 941 to the general ledger
- File Annual Secretary of State filings and Annual Colorado Oil Severance Tax Returns
- Generate monthly budget to actual reports, monitor monthly variance items for each department, and distribute reports to Leadership Team
- Generate monthly budget to actual reports and other financial reports for internal funds
Relationship Management (10%)
- Provide consistent training to develop staff knowledge of accounting procedures and policies
- Communicate with staff and constituents regarding transactions, process, timeline, and general inquiries
- At least 3-5 years of experience as an accountant
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office (especially Outlook, Word, and Excel)
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Work well under pressure and with many different types of people
- Excellent problem-solving skills and demonstrated initiative
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to learn and adapt to new systems and processes quickly
- Commitment to The Denver Foundation’s core values of leadership, equity, inclusiveness, and accountability
- Background with nonprofit accounting and fund accounting
- Experience using FinancialEdge, RaisersEdge, GrantedEdge, Laserfiche
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or economics, or equivalent experience
Work Environment: The position is based in an office environment with a mix of private offices and cubicles. Travel throughout the metro Denver region is an occasional possibility for this job.
- Daily communication via phone.
- Frequent extended hours in front of a computer screen with or without accommodations.
- Occasional carrying of objects up to 20 pounds.
- Regular group and public speaking.
- Occasional activities occurring outdoors.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
- Must be authorized to work in the United States.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time.
COMPENSATION: This is a full-time exempt position. The Denver Foundation offers a competitive benefits package including paid time off, retirement contribution, tuition assistance, and medical, life, and disability insurances. The starting salary for this position ranges from $70,000 to $75,000, depending upon experience.
Application Process: Interested applicants should complete the application located on our applicant portal at https://recruiting.myapps.paychex.com/appone/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=3232620. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The Denver Foundation’s Anti-Discrimination Policy: The Denver Foundation shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers, selection of vendors, and provision of services.
The Denver Foundation practices and champions inclusiveness in our community. We honor the diverse strengths, needs, voices, and backgrounds of all members of our community. Candidates from traditionally marginalized communities are especially encouraged to apply